If you are interested in learning more about Mayan culture, Guatemala is truly the best and most unique country for it. From the moment that you arrive, you will enjoy a welcome from the charming colonial City of Antigua Guatemala, the Mayan towns around Lake Atitlán or the cultural city of Quetzaltenango, also known as Xela.
- Quetzaltenango: the second most important city in Guatemala and the first option for many travellers who want to get authentic and immersive experience in the process of learning Spanish as a second language or volunteering. Quetzaltenango, which is also known as “Xela”, has the most Spanish Schools and Volunteering programs of any Guatemalan City. If you are planning to come to Guatemala to study or to do some volunteering, we can send you specific recommendations of local Schools with real volunteering programs, where you will be able to learn and help. Just send a quick text for more information.
View this post on Instagram
El #teatro Municipal de #Quetzaltenango fue inaugurado en 1895. Datos curiosos: 🤓 🎻 El teatro fue inicialmente planificado construirse en cercanías de lo que hoy es el INVO. 🎻 El costo del terreno donde hoy se localiza el teatro municipal fue de alrededor de 25 mil pesos. 🎻 Los #palcos bajos pertenecían específicamente a las familias más adineradas de la época, dichas familias aportaron una cantidad de alrededor de mil pesos para la construcción del teatro y así tener el derecho de sus propio palcos. 🎻 La #luneta está conformada por 302 butacas. 🎻 Se inició la construcción bajo la administración de José María Reina Barrios. #ViveXela 🎨 #VisitGuatemala 🎭 #THGuatemala 👇 www.THGuatemala.com ®️ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lake Atitlan: Located in the highlands of Guatemala and recognized as one of the most beautiful lakes in the world, while only a couple of hours drive from Quetzaltenango. Surrounded by 3 volcanoes and small Mayan Villages, each with different characteristics that make them all unique. The village of Panajachel is one of them, the biggest, and for this reason it is most touristic so the best place to either start or end any trip around the lake. San Pedro La Laguna is very popular for backpackers, so if you are looking for a party, this is the right one. San Marcos La Laguna is a very popular destination for spirituality and meditation activities, so if you are looking for a place to give peace to your soul, this is the place. San Juan La Laguna and Santiago Atitlan are growing their community tourist projects, sustainability and local empowerment so if you are traveling to learn more about the local cultures of Tzutujil and Kackchiquel, San Juan and Santiago Atitlan would be great options.
- Antigua Guatemala: This is a most-see city. Walking around you will be able to capture the best streetscape of one of Guatemalas oldest cities. Antigua Guatemala offer a wide option of hotels with luxury wedding-venues or places to celebrate any kind of event.
- Pacaya Volcano: Guatemala is home to 32 volcanoes (more or less, depending on the concept of volcanoes, some experts think there is more). The close proximity to Antigua Guatemala of the volcano Pacaya and its relative ease to climb, makes this volcano one of the most hiked in all of Guatemala. Pacaya volcano is also an active volcano so you will be able to feel the heat and see the eruption from a safe distance. Also, you can easily roast marshmallows, fry eggs or, even better, cook a pizza. (If you are interested in this last option, feel free to text us asking for more information).
- Semuc Champey: This paradise, among all the paradises in Guatemala, is a 300 meter-long wonder, carved by the river into limestone to create a canyon in the middle of the jungle of Lanquín. Swim in the heavenly turquoise water pools, that you can access with ease, by doing a light hike through the jungle, breathing fresh air and listening the birdsongs.
If you are considering visit Guatemala and would like more information these or other destinations, feel free to message us and we will be happy to help you by providing more information.